Saturday, August 13, 2011

Flash Fiction: Humility

The last flash fiction piece! I feel sad - I really enjoyed dusting off the 'creative writing' section of my brain (not used since NaNoWriMo last year) and put it to some use.

Before sharing the very last story (sob!), I want to thank Lady Antimony for hosting this challenge. It has been fun, educational, and it's also been great to make a few new friends in the blogosphere.

Now that this is over, a return back to normal (ha!) blogging is in order (and I just realised that Blogtoberfest is coming up!), but for those who enjoy the creative writing, fear not! I'm planning on participating in NaNoWriMo again this year and no doubt I'll be sharing a little of what I write. 


Okay! The story.


But first, let me say that the story stems from this:

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, 
it is thinking of yourself less.

Here's a really long definition of humility:
Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less. It is a spirit of self-examination; a hermeneutic of suspicion toward yourself and charity toward people you disagree with. The courage of the heart necessary to undertake tasks which are difficult, tedious or unglamorous, and to graciously accept the sacrifices involved. Reverence for those who have wisdom and those who selflessly teach in love. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one's own self. Being faithful to promises, no matter how big or small they may be. Refraining from despair and the ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation. (Vice: pride.)

________________________________

Humility

I have a friend who continuously apologises. It doesn’t matter what it is: spill your drink, stomp on her foot, shoot your husband (you get the idea), and she’s all, “I’m so sorry” and “That was entirely my fault."

People, when they meet her, think she’s so lovely, so polite, so humble. That first impression doesn’t last long. I see their eyebrows rise when she apologises that their baby didn’t sleep through the night again.  I see unsaid words forming on their lips: “Don’t be ridiculous, as if it’s your fault.” 

Sometimes I just want to kick her sorry arse.

________________________________

Thank you to all the people who have spent time commenting on what I've written - I truly appreciate it! (And I will catch up on commenting on all your blogs soon!)

For your final chance to check out some other great, confonting, interesting and diverse flash fiction, follow this link!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this made me LOL! It always surprises me when you write anything about violence or swearing. I guess I think you're too virtuous in real life to even contemplate fiction that's not virtuous as well. This was an awesome entry for humility, and I've really enjoyed reading all your entries. You should keep the flash fiction up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has a friend like that! Love it - you're very versatile. This one breathes with irritation (interesting take on whether martyr complex is true humility) whereas Patience echoed with just that.

    Am wondering about NaNoWriMo this year - didn't do it last year. Is it good or hell on wheels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she wants the attention, thus she isn't truly humble.
    The first sentence sets the tone nicely, I can hear her contemptuous voice until the very last line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I didn't really buy this as a Virtue but it definitely is in keeping with the theme of the Virtue. Reminds me of the Demetri Martin comedy sketch about "Sames and Opposites", where saying "I'm sorry" is the same as saying "I apologize" unless you're at a funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lissa - you are funny!

    Charity Girl - thank you! I'll write a little about NaNo soon.

    Emilia and David - yes, I think you're both right. The main character certainly doesn't have humility. In fact, reading the definition of humility, she's decidedly lacking in it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!