Thursday, February 25, 2010

How I Sterilize Jars for Jam

I love making jam. Today I made some blackberry jam, which I'll do a post about in the next couple of days, but for today, I am going to share how I sterilize jars for jam.


HOW TO STERILIZE JARS, KATHY STYLE:
1. Wash the jars and lids in hot soapy water.
2. Begin to heat up the oven - I set it on 150'celsius.
2. Rinse the jars under hot water. Do not dry them.
4. Put a clean teatowel in an oven tray (one with sides, as might be used for a slice): make sure that the teatowel goes up the sides too.
5. Put the rinsed jars on the teatowel, and put the tray with the teatowel and jars in the oven, even though it will not be completely heated. Leave it in there for at least 10 minutes (at least 5 minutes at 150'celsius) getting it out just before the jam is ready.

I have used this method for all my jams and marmalades, and have not had any problems.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had Kiwi Jam... it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should really try it! It is SO good. The link is on the sidebar... xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!