Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Garden Begins

The table in my loungeroom has been hijacked by a tarp and plants.


Strawberries! I am looking forward to these fruiting so much! There are three varieties in this pot: Tioga (at the front), Strawberry Delight (pink flowers - squee!), and hokowase with the long stems.




Growing up, my family always had a vegetable garden and fruit trees. Without them, we would definitely not have been eating as well as we did, as my Dad (a Vietnam Veteran) struggled with anything more that casual work (as many VV's do).

Since getting married, my husband and I have lived in units, and could never grow anything apart from some herbs in pots. Finally, though, we are in a house! With a yard! A biiiiig yard! We moved in way back in May, and at last I am getting myself into garden-making-gear.








On Sunday my mother-in-law and I hit the shops and bought garden gear. About time too, as we are half way through spring. As you can see above, we have seedlings, seeds, manure, hot pink gardening gloves (a necessity). We aimed for veggies that mature within 8-12 weeks, as my husband and I are most likely moving house at the end of summer. 

I have also been making some origami newspaper planters (here is a smaller version). 



I can't wait for fresh tomatoes, spring onions, lettuce, crispy beans and capsicum! This is going to be a delicious summer. 

I still need to dig the garden, however...




'Like' my page on facebook! And follow me on pinterest! I am much better at staying active on them ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!