Sunday, January 8, 2012

Happy (Belated) New Year!

I'm a bit late to the party, I know, but I really must wish you all a happy and fulfilling 2012!

This year has already been busy, though also very relaxed. We were away camping with friends from the 31st of December to the 3rd of January, and I feel like I've only just settled back in at home (probably because I've been on an uncharacteristc cleaning and organising splurge!).

The beautiful Gunns Plains, where we camped.
Now, I didn't even think of making any resolutions until a couple of days ago, but (truth be told) I don't usually make them anyway, because I don't like setting myself up to fail. So instead of listing my resolutions, here's a list of some 2012 firsts!

Firsts for 2012 so far:
- First celebration: My 26th birthday!
- First sunburn: Julian, though his wasn't as bad as mine, which I got the next day
- First bug photographed: Dragonfly - it flew past and landed right by me!


- First alcoholic beverage: merlot/baileys in milk (I was sort of alternating between them)
- First cooked meal: Eggs and bacon for a camping breakfast

Bacon clothesline!
- First crochet project started: Tiny Whale, pattern courtesy of PlanetJune.
- Books: first finished = Princess Charming; first started = A Woman's Place
- First movie session: Alvin and the Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked, followed by Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (this was rather fantastic!) 
- First in-joke: POPPIES!!!
These are the opium kind - Tasmania is a huge exporter of these.
Records in 2012:
- I've worn a skirt everyday this year! My legs are looking a bit wonderful :D
- Rose early every morning while camping: 7am, 5am (!), 8am (this is later as we were exhausted from the early start the day before... air mattresses with leaks are NOT fun).
- Went as far along the north-west coast of Tasmania that I've ever been: Table Cape.

Table Cape Lighthouse
Stuff that has excited me so far:
- Swam in the same river my dad learnt to swim in (the Leven River, north Tasmania).

The Leven River, my husband, and two children who are not ours (though I boss them around heaps!)
- Visiting the Gunns Plains Caves (glow worms!)

"Bacon" - very cool cave fomation, the colours are from minerals.
And, Oh! I've decided to list my (very general) resolutions for this year after all:
1. Work hard but don't strive;
2. Be restful and peaceful but not lazy; and, most importantly,
3. Do everything with diligence and a happy heart (give, work, serve, create and play with joy!)


What are some of your firsts for 2012? What are some of your resolutions?

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I love the picture of the bacon! If I attempted that where I live I could guarantee a bear would be there within minutes to have his/her breakfast. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a Happy New Year to you, too! May your 2012 bring a fantastic voyage to you and yours, and may the winds be forever at your back....

    Best~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. @kristieinbc - perhaps you'll have to stick with the rock version of bacon :D Happy New Year!!

    @Bryce - thank you! Ah, now I want to continue on with that celtic blessing (but I can't remember it)... may the Sun shine always on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful pictures! I love the bacon clothesline :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I read every comment, and appreciate each one. Where possible, I reply to comments via email.

I am so sorry that you have to do the comment verification thing - my blog was attacked by the spam monster!